When is confession at St. Mary’s?
The Sacrament of Reconciliation, or confession for short, is held on Saturday’s at 3:00-3:34 p.m. Our Reconciliation room is behind the altar area on the south side of the Church building. During Lent and Advent the three parishes of Sandusky have a community Penance Service and additional parish times scheduled. Private confession is available by appointment with any priest.
It’s been a long time. How do you go to confession today?
- We examine our conscience by reviewing the Ten Commandments and identifying those that we have broken. And we must have perfect contrition for these sins; in other words be truly sorry for them and resolved to not repeat them.
- We enter the confessional or reconciliation room and greet the priest. We say “bless me Father for I have sinned, it has been xxx since my last confession.”
- We confess all our mortal or serious sins and answer any questions the priest has.
- When we have finished confessing we say an Act of Contrition, one is: Oh my God, I am very sorry for having offended You. I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and fear the pain of hell, but most of all, because I have offended You, my God, who are all good and deserving of my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.
- The priest will say the prayer of Absolution and give you penance to do.
- We then leave and immediately perform the penance given to us.